Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy New Year - For Auld Lang Syne

One of my favorite songs is Same Old Lang Syne, by Dan Fogelberg.

For a long time, I listened to his lyrics not quite knowing what those words meant. I mean, truthfully, how many people actually know what Auld Lang Syne means anyway? And yet we all sing it every New Year's Eve when the clock strikes midnight.

Well, a few years back I was listening to Same Old Lang Syne when I hit me that I needed to fully understand what Dan was singing about. And here's what I found - the following is an excerpt from an article written by
Stephen Lynch of The Orange County Register...

"Auld Lang Syne means 'old long since' and is adapted from a traditional Scottish folk tune. The song recalls the days gone by and says we will always remember them. And even though people aren't sure what it means, it sounds sad and soothing at once. It's a song about loss, but also about love -- a hope that you'll see the same people you love next year."
The Wikipedia says that...

"Auld Land Syne is one of the best known songs in English-speaking countries. Yet, it is sometimes referred to jokingly as "the song that nobody knows", since many people can recall the melody easily but know only a fraction of the words, perhaps because it is written in the Scots language."
And now with a little background into the history, sing along with me...

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and days of auld lang syne?

And here's a hand, my trusty friend
And gie's a hand o' thine
We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne.
As I raise my glass to everyone I've had the pleasure of befriending along life's great journey, I give this toast...

Here's to old friends, and new ones that we've made along the way. Here's to those who have made a difference and touched our lives. Here's to the fond memories we carry with us, and the new ones that we will create in the new year. Here's to gifts of love, laughter and life. May you all enjoy them to the fullest in the coming year. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home